Site Accessibility Information Access Key 1 to Skip to Top Navigation Access Key 2 to Skip to the Three One One link Access Key 3 to Skip to City of Winnipeg Main Menu Access Key 4 to Skip to Left Navigation Menu Access Key 5 to Skip to Content area Access Key 6 to Skip to Right Sidebar content area Access Key 7 to Skip to Footer Links
Assessment and Taxation

School Taxes

Why does the City of Winnipeg collect school taxes?

The provincial government’s The Public Schools Act says municipalities, such as the City of Winnipeg, must bill for, and collect, school taxes.

What happens to your school taxes?

School taxes are part of the annual statement and demand of taxes that are mailed out in May of each year to property owners. The school taxes that are billed and collected by the City are remitted to the Province and school divisions to pay for education.

What are the school taxes and what are they used for?

There are two types of school taxes. Each is set and distributed in different ways. The City has no say over how the rates are set or how the money is spent. The taxes are:

  • Education Support Levy (ESL): The Province sets its mill rate which is on other property classifications only, such as commercial and industrial properties; residential and farm properties do not pay this tax.

The City collects the ESL on behalf of the Province and like all municipalities, remits this money to the Province, which adds a grant and distributes the full amount to Manitoba school divisions to pay operating expenses.

  • School Division or “Special” Levy: Each of Winnipeg’s 8 school divisions sets its own budget. The City then sets each division’s mill rate according to the Province’s rules governing the “Special Levy”.

With each school division within the City of Winnipeg having their own mill rate this may cause your school taxes to be different from those paid by someone else in a similar house in a different part of the city.

The tax is charged on all taxable property in a school division. The City sends each school division the money raised in its boundaries to help to pay its operating expenses.

How do you calculate your school taxes?

School taxes are calculated the same way as your municipal taxes:


Portioned Assessment x the ESL and/ or Special Levy Mill rate
= tax owed

If you own property other than residential property within Winnipeg your total school taxes would be:

ESL + Special Levy = Total school taxes

Do you have to pay school taxes even if you have no children in school?

Yes. Provincial law says all property owners must pay school taxes whether or not they have children in school, unless the property qualifies for a school tax exemption as referenced in Section 23(1) of the Municipal Assessment Act. Examples are some seniors housing, personal care homes, colleges or seminary of learning, community halls and museums. For a complete list consult the Municipal Assessment Act.

Last update: May 16, 2023

Was this information helpful?

How can we make this web page better?

Information collected will be used to improve our website. Do not use this form to submit a request for service or information because it will not be forwarded to departments for response. To submit a request for service or information, contact 311.

This form is not intended to collect personal information; however, any personal information you choose to include in your comments is collected by the City of Winnipeg under the authority of section 36(1)(b) of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act for the purpose of improving our website and will not be used or disclosed for any other purposes, except as authorized by law. Contact the Corporate Access and Privacy Officer by mail (City Clerk’s Department, Susan A. Thompson Building, 510 Main Street, Winnipeg MB, R3B 1B9) or by telephone (311) if you have any questions about the collection of this information.

Ces renseignements sont-ils utiles?

Comment pourrait-on améliorer cette page Web?

Les renseignements recueillis serviront à l’amélioration de notre site Web. Prière de ne pas se servir de ce formulaire pour soumettre une demande de service ou de renseignements, car la demande ne sera pas transmise au service en question. Pour soumettre une demande de service ou de renseignements, veuillez communiquer avec le 311.

Le présent formulaire ne vise pas à recueillir des renseignements personnels. Cependant, les renseignements personnels que vous choisissez d’inclure dans vos commentaires sont recueillis par la Ville de Winnipeg en conformité avec l’alinéa 36(1)b) de la Loi sur l’accès à l’information et la protection de la vie privée dans le but d’améliorer son site Web et ne seront ni utilisés ni divulgués pour d’autres raisons, sauf dans les cas où cela est autorisé par la loi. Communiquez avec l’agent de l’accès à l’information et de la protection de la vie privée de la Ville par courrier au Bureau du greffier, immeuble Susan-A.-Thompson, 510, rue Main, Winnipeg (Manitoba) R3B 1B9, ou par téléphone au 311 si vous avez des questions sur la collecte de ces renseignements.