Site Accessibility Information Access Key 1 to Skip to Top Navigation Access Key 2 to Skip to the Three One One link Access Key 3 to Skip to City of Winnipeg Main Menu Access Key 4 to Skip to Left Navigation Menu Access Key 5 to Skip to Content area Access Key 6 to Skip to Right Sidebar content area Access Key 7 to Skip to Footer Links
Assessment and Taxation

Filing an Application for Revision on your Annual Rental Value (ARV)

Can you file an application for revision on your ARV?

Yes. You may file an application for revision on your businesses ARV, but not your taxes.

To whom do you file an application for revision?

The City has a Board of Revision, an impartial quasi-Judicial body that has the responsibility to hear applications with respect to the assessed value, classification, liability or the refusal of the assessor to amend the assessment roll.

The Board is appointed by City Council and consists of citizens selected for their knowledge, experience and impartiality. The Board is independent of the Assessment and Taxation department and the panel members are not City Employees. It reviews assessments and makes decisions based on the evidence which you, as the business owner and the assessor present.

How do you file an application for revision?

To have the assessment roll revised; an application for revision needs to be filed with the Board of Revision along with the appropriate non-refundable filing fee. Information on how to file an application can be found on the City Clerk’s website.

If you have questions about an appeal, please call the Board of Revision at 311 or toll free 1-877-311-4974.

Do you have to pay taxes when you file an application for revision on your ARV?

Yes. They are still due on or before the due date. If you are successful with your application and your ARV is reduced, you will get a refund of your overpaid taxes plus interest.

Can you appeal the Board of Revision’s decision?

Yes. There are two ways to do this:

  • If you disagree with the Board of Revision’s decision on your ARV, you can appeal its decision to the Manitoba Municipal Board. This has to be done within 21 days of the Board of Revision mailing its decision to you. The Municipal Board will set a time and place to hear your appeal, and then send its written decision to both you and the City.

  • If you are questioning whether your business should be taxed, the Board of Revision’s decision can be appealed to the Court of King’s Bench.
Last update: September 12, 2022

Was this information helpful?

How can we make this web page better?

Information collected will be used to improve our website. Do not use this form to submit a request for service or information because it will not be forwarded to departments for response. To submit a request for service or information, contact 311.

This form is not intended to collect personal information; however, any personal information you choose to include in your comments is collected by the City of Winnipeg under the authority of section 36(1)(b) of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act for the purpose of improving our website and will not be used or disclosed for any other purposes, except as authorized by law. Contact the Corporate Access and Privacy Officer by mail (City Clerk’s Department, Susan A. Thompson Building, 510 Main Street, Winnipeg MB, R3B 1B9) or by telephone (311) if you have any questions about the collection of this information.

Ces renseignements sont-ils utiles?

Comment pourrait-on améliorer cette page Web?

Les renseignements recueillis serviront à l’amélioration de notre site Web. Prière de ne pas se servir de ce formulaire pour soumettre une demande de service ou de renseignements, car la demande ne sera pas transmise au service en question. Pour soumettre une demande de service ou de renseignements, veuillez communiquer avec le 311.

Le présent formulaire ne vise pas à recueillir des renseignements personnels. Cependant, les renseignements personnels que vous choisissez d’inclure dans vos commentaires sont recueillis par la Ville de Winnipeg en conformité avec l’alinéa 36(1)b) de la Loi sur l’accès à l’information et la protection de la vie privée dans le but d’améliorer son site Web et ne seront ni utilisés ni divulgués pour d’autres raisons, sauf dans les cas où cela est autorisé par la loi. Communiquez avec l’agent de l’accès à l’information et de la protection de la vie privée de la Ville par courrier au Bureau du greffier, immeuble Susan-A.-Thompson, 510, rue Main, Winnipeg (Manitoba) R3B 1B9, ou par téléphone au 311 si vous avez des questions sur la collecte de ces renseignements.