Site Accessibility Information Access Key 1 to Skip to Top Navigation Access Key 2 to Skip to the Three One One link Access Key 3 to Skip to City of Winnipeg Main Menu Access Key 4 to Skip to Left Navigation Menu Access Key 5 to Skip to Content area Access Key 6 to Skip to Right Sidebar content area Access Key 7 to Skip to Footer Links
Assessment and Taxation

Gas and Electricity Tax

As per Sections 441 - 450 of The City of Winnipeg Charter The City of Winnipeg is given the authority to adopt a by-law to impose a tax on the consumption of electricity and natural gas for non heating purposes within the city limits. The tax is to be calculated, collected and remitted by the seller. The tax collected is treated as general revenue and, along with Property Taxes, is used to pay for the various services provided by the City of Winnipeg to the residents.

The calculation is dependant on the primary heating source of the consumer. Two rates are used for the calculation 2.5% for domestic purposes and 5% for other than domestic purposes. A number of different scenarios are possible particularly for businesses but below are the two most common for domestic consumption.

  1. If natural gas is the primary source of heat then an average monthly consumption is calculated for the months of June, July and August (called base load). The tax is calculated at 2.5% X the lesser of the base load or actual consumption. The tax on the electricity would then be 2.5% X the total consumption.
  2. If electricity is the primary source of heat then it is assumed that 80% of the electricity consumption is for the purpose of heating. The tax would be calculated as 2.5% X 20% X the total consumption. If there was also gas (rarely there is in this scenario) the tax on the gas would be 2.5% X the total consumption.

As per Section 443(3) of The City of Winnipeg Charter, the rounding rules are that any fraction of a cent is to be computed as a whole cent.

There is also a provision, particularly for businesses that purchase natural gas from a broker, that a portion of the tax is refundable when the broker’s price is lower than the price charged by Manitoba Hydro.

Search By-laws for: Gas and Electricity Tax By-law No. 479/73.

Search By-laws for: Refund of Excess Gas Tax By-law No. 6490/94.

Last update: January 20, 2020

Was this information helpful?

How can we make this web page better?

Information collected will be used to improve our website. Do not use this form to submit a request for service or information because it will not be forwarded to departments for response. To submit a request for service or information, contact 311.

This form is not intended to collect personal information; however, any personal information you choose to include in your comments is collected by the City of Winnipeg under the authority of section 36(1)(b) of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act for the purpose of improving our website and will not be used or disclosed for any other purposes, except as authorized by law. Contact the Corporate Access and Privacy Officer by mail (City Clerk’s Department, Susan A. Thompson Building, 510 Main Street, Winnipeg MB, R3B 1B9) or by telephone (311) if you have any questions about the collection of this information.

Ces renseignements sont-ils utiles?

Comment pourrait-on améliorer cette page Web?

Les renseignements recueillis serviront à l’amélioration de notre site Web. Prière de ne pas se servir de ce formulaire pour soumettre une demande de service ou de renseignements, car la demande ne sera pas transmise au service en question. Pour soumettre une demande de service ou de renseignements, veuillez communiquer avec le 311.

Le présent formulaire ne vise pas à recueillir des renseignements personnels. Cependant, les renseignements personnels que vous choisissez d’inclure dans vos commentaires sont recueillis par la Ville de Winnipeg en conformité avec l’alinéa 36(1)b) de la Loi sur l’accès à l’information et la protection de la vie privée dans le but d’améliorer son site Web et ne seront ni utilisés ni divulgués pour d’autres raisons, sauf dans les cas où cela est autorisé par la loi. Communiquez avec l’agent de l’accès à l’information et de la protection de la vie privée de la Ville par courrier au Bureau du greffier, immeuble Susan-A.-Thompson, 510, rue Main, Winnipeg (Manitoba) R3B 1B9, ou par téléphone au 311 si vous avez des questions sur la collecte de ces renseignements.