Site Accessibility Information Access Key 1 to Skip to Top Navigation Access Key 2 to Skip to the Three One One link Access Key 3 to Skip to City of Winnipeg Main Menu Access Key 4 to Skip to Left Navigation Menu Access Key 5 to Skip to Content area Access Key 6 to Skip to Right Sidebar content area Access Key 7 to Skip to Footer Links
Assessment and Taxation
2013 Assessment Information

The 2013 Property Assessment roll will be delivered on June 1, 2012. The deadline for filing an appeal with the Board of Revision is June 21, 2012. An application for appeal can be found on the Board of Revision website.

Please note that not every property owner will receive a 2013 Property Assessment Notice in June. You will only receive a Notice if your property experienced a change which resulted in a new market value or if there has been a change in ownership over the past year. However, regardless of whether or not you receive a Notice, all property owners are entitled to appeal their 2013 assessed value at the Board of Revision by the appeal deadline.

In order to view the public notice please click on the following link: 2013 Public Notice - Realty

Assessing your property:

How does the City assess your property?

Several factors go into assessing your property:

  • It is assessed at the “current market value”, or the price your property could normally sell for on the real estate market.  This is done for a “reference” year which is normally the year after the last general assessment.
  • The City assesses the value of both your land and buildings to get a total property assessment.  It decides your land’s value by studying sales of similar properties and comparing lot size, local improvements, location, and other factors which influence its sale value.  It decides your building’s assessed value by its age, size, condition, construction and materials.  Even if you built it yourself, the City judges your building by the same criteria as other buildings so it can equitably assess all similar buildings.
  • The City factors depreciation for normal deterioration into your building’s assessment.

What kinds of improvements increase your assessment?

  • Your assessment will increase if you do extensive renovating, make any structural changes which increase your living space, or build a garage, deck or swimming pool.  It will not increase if you repair a building with similar materials, providing it is not part of a major modernization.

Does a valuation staff member have to visit your property to do an assessment?

  • No.  The City only employs so many valuation staff members for Winnipeg’s 200,000 properties and the valuation staff members visit approximately 10,000 residences a year, so a building is assessed when it is built, renovated, sold, or periodically thereafter.  Assessments between these times are based on a property’s physical characteristics, which are on file, real estate sales records, and renovations or improvements for which building permits were issued.



Last update: 09.06.2011

  * Top of Page

Was this information helpful?

How can we make this web page better?

Information collected will be used to improve our website. Do not use this form to submit a request for service or information because it will not be forwarded to departments for response. To submit a request for service or information, contact 311.

This form is not intended to collect personal information; however, any personal information you choose to include in your comments is collected by the City of Winnipeg under the authority of section 36(1)(b) of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act for the purpose of improving our website and will not be used or disclosed for any other purposes, except as authorized by law. Contact the Corporate Access and Privacy Officer by mail (City Clerk’s Department, Susan A. Thompson Building, 510 Main Street, Winnipeg MB, R3B 1B9) or by telephone (311) if you have any questions about the collection of this information.

Ces renseignements sont-ils utiles?

Comment pourrait-on améliorer cette page Web?

Les renseignements recueillis serviront à l’amélioration de notre site Web. Prière de ne pas se servir de ce formulaire pour soumettre une demande de service ou de renseignements, car la demande ne sera pas transmise au service en question. Pour soumettre une demande de service ou de renseignements, veuillez communiquer avec le 311.

Le présent formulaire ne vise pas à recueillir des renseignements personnels. Cependant, les renseignements personnels que vous choisissez d’inclure dans vos commentaires sont recueillis par la Ville de Winnipeg en conformité avec l’alinéa 36(1)b) de la Loi sur l’accès à l’information et la protection de la vie privée dans le but d’améliorer son site Web et ne seront ni utilisés ni divulgués pour d’autres raisons, sauf dans les cas où cela est autorisé par la loi. Communiquez avec l’agent de l’accès à l’information et de la protection de la vie privée de la Ville par courrier au Bureau du greffier, immeuble Susan-A.-Thompson, 510, rue Main, Winnipeg (Manitoba) R3B 1B9, ou par téléphone au 311 si vous avez des questions sur la collecte de ces renseignements.